Finding Books for Your Child
It is important to understand that a guided reading level is a good indication of students' reading level for instructional purposes. A student's independent level, a book they can read on their own, might be one or two levels lower. However, it is equally important to remember that students' reading skills are improved when they also have the opportunity to choose books that they are interested in, regardless of reading level. Also, to fully develop as competent readers, students should be read to frequently and have the opportunity to discuss their reading.
The table below shows the guided reading level ranges for grades K-2 based upon the Fountas and Pinnell system:
- Go to Kids Zone
- Click "Book Finder"
- Select your grade level
- Choose "at your grade level", "easier" , "challenge" , etc.
- Check the types of books you are interested in.
- You will get a list of books that match your choices!
- Click tab on top: Catalog
- Where it says "Reading Programs" , click on Fountas and Pinnell
- Then put in the range of books that you want and press enter