District 27's primary goals are to provide each student with learning opportunities in every academic area, and to develop interests so that students will continue their learning activities beyond the formal school setting.
The basic program for grades three, four and five includes reading, language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, art, music, physical education, computer science, library, and social-emotional skills.
All students receive instruction in physical education daily for 30 minutes, music twice a week for 30 minutes, and art twice a week for 40 minutes. The instruction is presented by specialists who provide opportunities for students to learn, express themselves and develop in ways not provided for in the regular classroom.
Additionally, students in grades four and five may elected to receive instruction in playing an instrument in band or orchestra.
The Office of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment oversees the following:
- Reading, Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies core curricula.
- Foreign Language, Art, Music, P.E., Technology, and Health programs.
- Large-scale assessments, including PARCC, Terra Nova and STAR.
- Instructional Technology.
- Response to Intervention.
- School Improvement Plans.
- Professional Development.