Shabonee Dolphins held a mock election to have some fun and vote on the assistant principal and principal Halloween costumes. We held the primary election last week, where the kids had the chance to select a theme. Choices were funny, spooky, fancy, or sporty, with funny being the overall winner. This week, they voted on their favorite costume choice between mystery animal, Care Bear, or emoji. The election was nearly a three-way tie, but mystery animal was the costume with the most votes. The children will get to see us next week on Thursday and Friday as we visit classrooms.
PBIS Cool Tools
I shared information in last week’s newsletter about PBIS and how we use minors and majors to focus our PBIS efforts. This week’s newsletter includes the details we used in classrooms as we helped kids acclimate to school this fall. “Cool Tools” are lesson plans used to teach the school's behavior expectations. They are intended to educate students about what is expected of them at Shabonee. Under normal circumstances, we teach our Shabonee Dolphins to follow the acronym SWIM, which stands for Show Respect, We’re Responsible, and I’M Kind. The following SAFE acronym was developed to instill these ideas throughout the current school year.
S = Social distance
A = Always wear a mask
F = Follow cleanliness steps
E = Enter & exit appropriately
The PBIS Universal Team put together this presentation to help convey the concepts within SAFE. We partner with parents more than ever and are sharing this presentation with you having two goals in mind. First, we want to keep you informed about how we promote safety at school during the pandemic. Second, we hope that sharing this information will be useful at home so that you can reinforce these ideas with your children. As the pandemic continues, we must rely on our collaborative efforts to support each other to be proactive and safe at school. I hope this information is both informative and helpful. As we move forward, the PBIS Universal Team will focus our next efforts to help students SWIM on Zoom.
Halloween at Shabonee (Reminder)
This time of year typically allows children to dress up, go trick or treating, visit haunted houses, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, etc. We want to help keep some sense of normalcy and fun as much as possible. Halloween at school will look a bit different this year than in the past. Children may wear a costume to school on Thursday, October 29, for Group B, and on Friday, October 30, for Group A. Fully remote students are invited to also dress-up from home on Friday.
Our classroom events will be hosted by our PTA room parents and take place virtually on Friday, October 30, at the end of the school day from 2:35 - 3:05. The next PTA sponsored holiday party is planned to take place on Friday, December 18, when Group B students will be in session for the virtual holiday activity. Students that are not present may participate remotely in the virtual activities.
Children will be allowed to wear their costumes all day, so please help us have fun while focusing on learning by following the guidelines below. For our school celebration, the costumes and themes need to be appropriate for children in a school setting. Please keep it simple. While we want to have fun on this special day, our priority is learning. Costumes should not be intrusive to learning. Consider the following when planning your child's costume for school:
- Costumes should not disrupt the educational environment or impede students from fully participating in class.
- All COVID safety requirements must be maintained.
- Students must have a face mask that covers both their mouth and nose that is recommended by the CDC as part of COVID precautionary measures. (A simple Halloween type mask is not the same and is not allowed anyway).
- Students need to continue to follow good hand hygiene. Any costume should allow students to wash hands and use hand sanitizer easily.
- Students must also be able to maintain 6ft physical distance from others safely.
- Any student wearing a costume must fully prepare before arriving at school. Spray cans, hair coloring, spray string, face painting, etc. will NOT be allowed at school.
- No toy (or real) weapons are allowed. Students also need to consider any accessories that may be part of their costume since they do not have access to lockers and must carry all school materials during the day.
- Group costumes are discouraged when they promote the exclusion of other students.
- If a costume is determined by a staff member or administration to be a disruption to the school environment, a possible safety hazard, or inappropriate, the student will be asked to change into extra clothes or be picked up from school for the day if extra clothes are not available.
- Parents are encouraged to supervise their child’s costume choice – keeping in mind that ultimately, Shabonee serves as a place of learning, safety, and appropriateness.
Pictures & Retakes (Reminder & update for families of fully remote students)
Picture retakes will take place in the morning on November 4 and 5. Please follow the instructions provided in your picture packets for additional information if your child needs to retake photos.
Note for families of fully remote students: Pictures were sent home with the pick up on Thursday evening and retakes will be available at Shabonee on November 5 from 4:00 - 5:30 during the next pick up date. Details will be shared via email by Mrs. Spak with families of fully remote students.